Saturday, March 19, 2011

Friendship and a Pool of Water

Alright folks, I'm back. Today I went skiing in this wonderful, fresh spring air. I had been sitting in my house, lamenting over the fact that I had nothing to do today. Now don't get me wrong, there's a lovely thing in listening to music, reading a book, drinking a snapple, taking a walk, and just hanging out through a day. But I'd been doing that for the past few days and I wanted to hang out with a friend.

And so I had been thinking about calling a friend and seeing if she wanted to hang out, but I didn't. I was extremely surprised when a good friend texted me asking me if my sister and I wanted to go skiing. I was ecstatic. Now Toast (my friend), Hallee (her younger sister), Tipsytoe (my sister), and myself were surprised when we arrived at the hill to find out that a there was going to be a competition that day. What was the competition? It wasn't a race. It didn't involve jumps. It did involve a pool of water that was announced to be twelve feet long. It also involved skiing across this pool of water. Don't worry, the pool was 102 degrees. Never mind the ice chunks floating in the water. At this point you may be asking what in the world was going on, I would. The point of this competition was to try to ski across this pool without falling. I'd say about 75 percent failed. It wasn't pretty, but it was funny. Only in Minnesota would you go skiing across a pool of water that is in the middle of a ski hill in winter for fun. Yeah, that's what Minnesotans do for fun, what else do you think we'd be doing? Tipping over cows? Okay, we only do that on the weekends, haha, just kidding.

Now, as much fun as that was, the real fun was hanging out with my friends. It's a special thing in life, being able to laugh and have fun with someone. Totally free of all pretensions, no artificial flavoring. That's why God created friendships. He understands the importance of something called "fellowship". It's one of the reasons we go to church, for fellowship with your fellow Christians. So if you're reading this right now, remind yourself of the importance of friendship. Call up someone you haven't talked to for awhile. Tell your friends how much you appreciate their friendship. They might look at you weird, but at least they know, right? And it doesn't hurt to invite your friends to go do something fun, like skiing. You never know when our friend will praise your name in a blog because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment